Friday, May 7, 2010

Autumn in Martinborough - Cow go crazy on grapes!

Back home now, to the most stunning Autumn weather we have ever experienced. How's this for a sunset?!

All grapes are in now, and while the quantity is a little down on 2009, the 2010 quality is great. We are looking forward to finishing the ferments and seeing what the final wines look like. It's a bit like waiting for a grandchild to be born!

I often get asked what happens to the waste skins and stalks. Well, they are all either composted or recycled - how recycled? Well check out the accompanying recycling 'machines', and they just love the pressings - I call these my 10 Fat Ladies (even though a couple are gentlemen!). Yes, in addition to wine growing, social media, wine sales, blogging and vineyard maintenance, I also breed angus cattle. Great fun, and a wonderful breed to work with. But, when we take the fork-lift into the paddock with the tipper full of grape skins you have to dump and run! There is literally a stampede as they race across the paddock to get first taste of them. I used to have a much bigger herd, but the financial pressures of the last 12 months forced me to downsize my farming interests a little. That said, they still give me a lot of pleasure and keep me grounded. And maybe grow the herd again in the not too distant future. I've got chickens, cats and dogs too, so sorry, some more pet shots to follow in future blogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment