Saturday, May 16, 2009

First Red Pressings

Saturday 16th May

It is a long time since I posted anything! Know I know why people told me, when I said I’ll post an update every day, that I would not be able to do it without a GREAT deal of discipline. Now I realise what they meant!!

That said, I’m back!

Today I’ve included some images of the red grapes after pressing. They have been through their ferments now and we need to press these off to extract the final juices and colour. The trick is to press gently so we do not press bitter elements out of any remaining pips or stalks. The first wines for the 2009 Pinot Noir are very encouraging, and we expect to press off the rest of the Pinot Noir next week. The Syrah, Cabernet Sauvignon and Cabernet Franc are not far behind, and then we can turn our minds to other things. But, while we have ferments going, we need to keep our full attention on them – it’s a bit like minding a very young child actually – late nights, the occasional mess to clean up and doing everything you need to keep them happy!